Lava Hot Springs' Portneuf River won! Here's what USA TODAY said: "Congratulations! Lava Hot Springs has a winner on its hands in 10Best and USA TODAY's Readers' Choice contest for Best River for Tubing."
Fed by annual snow melt, the wild Portneuf River passes through the heart of Lava Hot Springs, Idaho. This quick, rapid-filled stretch can be floated once or twice per hour. Tubing the river happens from about mid-May to mid-September.
So get to Lava Hot Springs, rent a tube or bring your own and have a blast floating the Portneuf River!
See all the fun in this news video!
- Wear protective clothing: wear shorts and a pair of old tennis shoes, water shoes or river sandals to protect your feet. Flip flops are not adequate and are easily lost.
- Do not float with LOOSE ITEMS like wallets, keys, loose-fitting jewelry, cell phones and other valuables. Secure eye or sunglasses with some sort of retention cord.
- Use the recommended tube put-in and exit points marked on the TPD FLOAT MAP.
- Life jackets are recommended for all children and non swimmers and are provided as part of the tube rental fee.
- NO GLASS containers at or on the river.
- PLEASE do not litter the trails or our beautiful river, use trash receptacles before tubing the river to discard of your trash.
- Find tube rental businesses on our Recreation page.